a silver car rear ended another car

I Was Reversing and a Car Hit Me: What to Do?

December 13, 2023

Picture this scenario: you're carefully reversing your car, perhaps in a car park or on a street, and suddenly there's an impact; a car has hit you. So what do you do? In the following guide, we’re going to take you through the post accident process step by step, from ensuring everybody’s safety and exchanging details, to contacting your insurance company. Let’s take a look.

Safety First: Ensure Everyone is Okay

The immediate aftermath of any car accident, whether you've hit another car while reversing or vice versa, demands a focus on safety: check yourself for injuries and then ensure the well-being of your passengers, if any. Next, if it's safe to do so, assess the condition of the other vehicle involved and inquire about the health of its occupants, and remember, the safety and health of everyone involved comes before any talk of insurance or repairs.

Document the Accident

Once you've confirmed that everyone is safe, you’re going to need to document the scene: this involves taking pictures of both vehicles and focusing on areas of damage; capture wide-angle shots to show the position of the cars post-accident, which can be particularly telling in accidents in car parks reversing. These images serve as vital evidence when making a car accident claim with your insurance company.

Exchange Information with the Other Driver

In any car accident on the road - no matter who’s at fault - you’ll also need to approach the other driver calmly and exchange essential details; this should include names, contact information, vehicle details, and insurance information. Be diplomatic and avoid discussing fault at this stage; the insurance companies will determine this based on the facts presented. Never admit fault on the scene either - this can come back to bite you in the claims process.

When to Call the Police

In certain situations, involving the police may be necessary. For example, if there's substantial damage, injuries, or if the other party becomes confrontational or flees the scene, it's advisable - and in the latter case, essential - to call the police. Not only might the driver be committing a crime, but a police report can be invaluable when filing an insurance claim if there are any disputes about the accident - in particular who caused it.

Filing an Accident Report

broken rear windshield from collision

Whether or not the police are involved, you should also file an accident report; this can usually be done at your local police station or sometimes online, and provides a formal account of the incident, which can be beneficial for insurance claims and legal purposes.

Seeking Medical Attention

Even if you feel fine, it's always wise to seek medical attention after a car accident. Some injuries, particularly whiplash or concussion, may not be immediately apparent, plus, a medical record immediately following an accident can also be important if you later need to make a claim for personal injuries.

Notifying Your Insurance Company

Finally, inform your insurance company about the accident as soon as possible, and be prepared to provide them with all the details you've collected, including the accident report, photographs, and the other driver's information. Your insurer will guide you through the process of making a claim and advise you on the steps to follow.


Who is at fault in a reversing accident?

Determining who is at fault in a reversing accident can be complex: generally, the driver reversing is often considered at fault, especially in car parks or driveways, as they are expected to yield to moving traffic. However, each incident is unique, and factors such as the other driver's speed or failure to observe can end up influencing liability.

What should I do if the other driver doesn't have insurance?

If the other driver involved in the accident is uninsured, you should still collect their contact information and report the incident to the police. Notify your insurance company as well; they will advise on the next steps, which may involve your uninsured motorist coverage.

Can I claim for minor damage in a reversing accident?

Yes, you can claim for any damage to your vehicle, no matter how minor. It's important to document the damage thoroughly and report it to your insurance company to assess the claim - however, do note that depending on your excess, it might not always be worth it to make a claim for minor accidents or minor damage.

Should I admit fault at the scene of the accident?

No! You should never admit fault at the scene, even if you’re simply just trying to be polite or reassure the other driver. While it’s an understandable reaction, the stress of the situation can cloud your judgement, and you may not have all the necessary information to determine fault accurately. Leave the determination of liability to the insurance companies.