Two Angry Motorists Arguing Over Responsibility For Car Accident

Someone Hit My Uninsured Parked Car - What To Do?

April 23, 2024

Discovering that your parked car has been hit can be frustrating, especially if your car is uninsured. This guide provides a clear path forward if you find yourself in this situation, helping you manage the aftermath efficiently and legally. Let’s take a closer look.

Do I Have to Insure A Parked Car in the UK?

In the UK, insurance requirements for a parked car depend largely on how you intend to use the vehicle. Under the Continuous Insurance Enforcement (CIE) policy, all vehicles must be insured unless they have been officially declared off the road with a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN). This means that if your car is parked on public roads or accessible public areas, it must be insured even if it is not being driven.

If you decide to SORN your vehicle, you are declaring that it will not be used or parked on public roads. This effectively removes the requirement for insurance. However, it's worth noting that while a SORN vehicle does not need to be insured against third-party risks, you might still want to consider keeping it covered against risks like theft or damage if it is stored in a garage or on private property.

Failure to insure a vehicle that has not been declared off the road can result in fines, prosecution, and the possibility of the vehicle being clamped, seized, and disposed of. It's crucial to ensure that you are fully compliant with the law regarding vehicle insurance, whether your car is in use or parked.

Immediate Steps to Take

Assess the Damage

First, calmly inspect the damage to your car. Look for dents, scratches, and any potential structural damage. It’s crucial to understand the full extent of the damage to communicate accurately with any third parties involved and for potential legal proceedings.

Document the Damage and Accident Scene

a parked red car got rear ended

Take clear, comprehensive photographs of your car’s damage from various angles and the surrounding accident scene. These pictures can serve as important evidence if the other party disputes the events or the extent of the damage. Also, if there are any witnesses, ask for their contact information and statements. This information can prove invaluable in establishing the facts of the incident.

Report the Accident to the Police

Even if the damage seems minor, reporting the accident to the police is essential. A police report provides an official account of the incident, which is necessary for legal and insurance purposes. Ensure to receive a copy of the police report and note the attending officer’s name and badge number.

Legal Considerations

Navigating legal issues with an uninsured vehicle can be tricky. Without insurance, you are potentially exposed to significant financial risks. If the driver who hit your car is identified and insured, their insurance may cover your damages. However, if the driver is also uninsured or if it was a hit-and-run, you might have to bear the repair costs yourself, unless you pursue legal action.

Dealing with the Aftermath of the Accident

Following the initial steps, begin by estimating the repair costs with a reliable mechanic. If the costs are manageable, you might consider paying out of pocket. However, if the expenses are significant, and the party at fault is known, you could seek compensation through small claims court. Consultation with a legal professional can provide guidance based on the specifics of your case.

The Role of the Motor Insurers' Bureau (MIB)

If the person responsible for the damage to your car cannot be traced or is uninsured, the Motor Insurers' Bureau (MIB) can help. The MIB compensates victims of uninsured and hit-and-run drivers. You can file a claim with the MIB, but be prepared to provide thorough documentation of the accident and your attempts to track the responsible party.

Seeking Help

Ultimately, in situations involving uninsured vehicles - whether it’s your vehicle or someone else’s - it’s always advisable to seek legal advice. A lawyer specialising in traffic accidents - or a road accident claims company like us at RTA Claims - can offer strategies to recover costs and navigate the complexities of dealing with uninsured incidents. Additionally, we’ll be able to assist you in dealing with the MIB and ensure that you compile a robust case and get any compensation that you’re entitled to.

For further assistance, especially if the accident involved a motorcycle, you can make a motorcycle accident claim via RTA Claims and start your journey towards fair, proportionate compensation, and a long-term route to full recovery.